Thursday 6 December 2012

Illamasqua's Cream Pigment in 'Mould'.



Recently, I've been playing it safe in the makeup department. Some mascara and a wee bit of blush and I'm ready to go. But the other week I decided to challenge myself. I decided I was going to buy a piece of makeup which would completely be out of my comfort zone, but yet wasn't going to make me look ridiculous and could be worn day or night.
In the end, I chose Illamasqua's Cream Pigment in 'Mould' (I already have 'Androgen', which is the loveliest cheek and lip colour). I fell in love with the colour, it was unlike anything I had in makeup drawer and I felt it was the perfect shade to match my grungy and weird fashion sense (this character is my fashion icon. Says it all really), and was versatile enough for day and night wear.

'Mould' is described as 'grape', and I would agree, it's a very dark purple shade. It's also a matte finish, which is great for me since I'm not particularly fond of anything shimmery or glittery. The matte-ness also lends to it's multipurpose properties: these cream pigments can be used on the eyes, lips and anywhere else!

Because it is a cream product, it is so easy to play around with. It glides on so smoothly, and blending this product is an absolute dream. In the pan it is quite hard, but once you warm it up with your fingers then it softens up and has quite a lot of slip.
As a lip product, it is beautiful. It isn't very appropriate for wear during the day (for me anyway), but it does look absolutely fantastic, especially on an evening out. It is such a comfortable texture, some lip products can feel quite heavy on the lips, but this is so light you forget you have dark purple lips! It is quite a long lasting lip product, and even when it fades on the lips you get left with a light purple stain on the lips.
It's not necessarily a moisturising lip product, and I can imagine some people might find it quite drying on the lips. I would also take care to make sure your lips are buffed and moisturised before wearing this shade, any dry patches are instantly shown up!
If I'm wearing 'Mould' on my lips, I keep my eye makeup quite neutral, since I'm not a fan of bold eyes and lips worn together.

On the eyes this shade looks and feels fantastic. It's more appropriate for day wear (I think purple eyelids are much more 'normal' compared to dark purple lips!). I think 'Mould' especially suits people with dark brown or hazel eyes, it really seemed to make them 'pop'.
This product is also great for intensifying eyeshadow; apply an eyeshadow of the same sort of shade over the top of 'Mould' and it really makes the colour look so much more intense, richer and have much more depth to it.
My only disappointment with this product is that I felt it creased on my eyelids really easily. I have quite oily and wrinkly eyelids to begin with, so those of you with normal eyelids might find that this doesn't crease! It is probably because the product is more of a cream than a powder product, so it creases easier. Any ideas on how to prevent this would be much appreciated.



The packaging of Illamasqua's Cream Pigments are great: understated beauty, simplicity and practicality rolled into one. It's not gonna be a product I'm going to avoid getting out of my bag for touch ups...

This product cost me £15 (RRP £17 - I love my loyalty discount) from the Illamasqua website, which I think is a really great price for such a versatile product. Plus it is such a long lasting product because you only need the tiniest amount to get the desired effect!

Overall, I do love this product. I love how multi-purpose it is (one day I will fully embrace the purple lip and go out in public). I am totally in love with the shade, and when I wear it I feel like I'm channeling my inner Sooz. Obviously, the fact that it creases annoys me immensely, but I think I might have to get surgery on my greasy lids to prevent that...because I love it. When I do finish this product I will repurchase, for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment